Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Thoughts of Randomness

So , Friday was sweltering, above 100 degrees.  We ran a few errands and when we left the house it was 84 degrees.  We left at 9:30am. Notice that none of that is truly complaining. I try really hard not to complain about the heat. I know all too soon that I will be complaining about the cold. We had to replace some swim toys that were misplaced. I didn't want Preston's swim teacher to do without. Otherwise, we would not have left our house. Preston is dressing his self these days, and this is what he chose to wear on the hottest day of the year:
Yes, he is watching TV & yes, my floor was that dirty...

Yep, all black. Even the shoes he put on were black crocs. Whatev, he was happy with his choice of batman and comfy shorts, and their matching...

Want another good laugh? Here:

if I had a silver platter, I would have put it under his feet before I took the picture. There is something about infants and shoes that cracks me up. They just look so silly because they are purely for looks, not functional at all! We can all thank my mom for this adorable little laugh!

Onto more serious issues... Poor little Preston seems to be letting it sink in that his baby is here to stay. He is going through a lot of adjustments lately.  He is having a hard time with everyone giving all their attention to Grant. He misses the attention everyone use to focus solely on him.

Last week walking out of the grocery store, three different people commented on how cute, sweet, adorable Grant was. They were all complete strangers, so I just smiled and went on about lugging the mammoth car seat out to the car with my bags of groceries in one hand and Preston's little palm in the other. Once we were all settled and pulling out, Preston in all his four year old wisdom, said "Mommy, nobody thinks I am cute anymore."
I don't know how anyone wouldn't think he is cute.

It broke my heart. It didn't occur to me until he said that, that not a single person acknowledged his existence in that store. How upsetting, to be four and no longer feeling like you are worthy. So we have been working to give him special time, and attention. We are working on the tone we use with him and the things we say to him. I constantly question myself and my ideas. I don't want that for my kids. I want to raise confident people who will raise their hands in class and offer up the answer. I want to raise them to know that their ideas are good enough, so that they will take risks and put themselves out there.

Most of all, I want them happy, but it would be nice to see them thrive on top of all that happiness.

One more laugh for good measure. This was after licking beaters, and after he went to the bathroom and lick off his face as far as his tongue would reach. It was only chocolate mousse, so beater licking was safe because there were no eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...